The CompTIA A+ certificate is an industry recognised standard for starting a career in IT. Being the first certificate most people earn when considering an entry-level IT position, you can be sure to gain the fundamentals to prepare for work in a technical support and IT operational roles.
Some of the world’s largest organisations look for their employees to have a CompTIA A+ certificate, including Dell, HP, Shell, Nissan, and Intel, making this a must-have for those pursuing a career in IT.
Read more: CompTIA Awarding Body
What is CompTIA A+ Certification?
A CompTIA A+ certification is a great way to show your current and future employers that you are a proven problem solver. You can support core technologies from security, cloud, and data management.
CompTIA A+ is:
- A credential with performance-based items to support and evidence the fact that you can think on your feet and perform crucial IT support tasks.
- Trusted by employers around the world.
- Regularly revised and reviewed by IT experts, to ensure validation of core skills and abilities.
You will master nine essential skills through your CompTIA A+ training:
- Hardware – Identifying, using, and connecting hardware components and devices.
- Networking – Explain types of networks and connections including TCP/IP, WIFI and SOHO.
- Mobile Devices – Install & configure laptops and other mobile devices.
- Operating Systems – Install and support Windows OS including command line & client support. Understand Mac OS, Linux, and mobile OS.
- Hardware and Network Troubleshooting – Troubleshoot device and network issues.
- Virtualization and Cloud Computing – Compare & contrast cloud computing concepts & set up client-side virtualization.
- Software Troubleshooting – Troubleshoot PC and mobile device issues including application security support.
- Security – Identify and protect against security vulnerabilities for devices and their network connections.
- Operational Procedures – Follow best practices for safety, environmental impacts, and communication and professionalism.
Read more: How to get into Cyber Security
What jobs require a CompTIA A+ Certificate?
With a CompTIA A+ certificate, you can apply for a wide range of entry-level IT jobs, including:
- Help Desk Technician – £21,500
- Field Service Technician – £22,500
- Support Technician – £24,000
- Service Desk Analyst – £25,000
- Junior IT Engineer – £25,000
- IT Support Specialist – £26,000
- 2nd Line Desktop Support – £28,500
- System Support – £35,000
Read more: How to get into IT
How long does CompTIA A+ last?
Your CompTIA A+ certificate is valid for three years; from the day you pass your exams. You can easily renew and extend your certificate by an additional three years, through CompTIA.
Your renewal options include:
Option One: Training – The CompTIA CertMaster CE A+ training course, enables you to renew your CompTIA A+ certification online (without an exam).
Option Two: Additional Certifications – Earn a qualifying higher-level IT certification. To renew your A+ certificate you could take any of the below certifications:
Option three: CE Activities – You can accumulate qualifying continuing education units (CEUs) to renew your certification. You will need 20 CEUs to renew your CompTIA A+ certificate.
Read more: How to get into Cyber Security
How to get a CompTIA A+ qualification?
Earning your CompTIA A+ Certificate is simple with e-Careers. We offer two ways for you to study, so you can be sure for something that works well for you. Study methods include online via our eLearning platform, and via Virtual Classroom with one of our expert trainers.
Explore our CompTIA A+ Certificate training options in more detail.
CompTIA A+ Syllabus & Exam Details
CompTIA A+ Core 1 (220-1001) Modules
- Motherboards, Processors, and Memory
- Internal Expansion, Storage Devices, and Power Supplies
- Peripherals and Connectors
- Custom PC Configurations
- Installing and Configuring Printers
- Networking Fundamentals
- Introduction to TCP/IP
- Installing Wireless and SOHO Networks
- Network Services, Virtualisation, and Cloud Computing
- Understanding Laptops
- Understanding Mobile Devices
- Mobile Device Connectivity and Synchronisation
- Troubleshooting Methodology and Resolving Core Hardware Problems
- Hardware and Network Troubleshooting
CompTIA A+ Core 2 (220-1002) Modules
- Operating Systems Basics
- Operating Systems Administration
- Working with Windows 10
- Working with Windows 8/8.1
- Working with Windows 7
- Working with macOS and Linux
- Scripting and Remote Access
- Security Concepts
- Securing Operating Systems
- Troubleshooting Operating Systems and Security
- Documentation and Professionalism
- Safety and Environmental Concerns
CompTIA A+ Certificate Exam Details
- Exam - Code 220-1001 & 220-1002
- Exam format - Performance and multiple-choice.
- Number of questions - 90.
- Duration - 90 minutes.
- Pass mark -
- 220-1001: 675/900 (75%).
- 220-1002: 700/900 (78%).
Read more: CompTIA Syllabus update
Are you ready to start studying for your CompTIA A+ Certificate? Contact our team of IT Course Consultants on +44 (0) 20 3198 7700 to get started or fill out our contact form and one of our team members will be in touch shortly.